Efficient tape I/O with 386/ix; How??

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 08:40:23 AEST 1988

Streaming tape I/O with 386/ix seems to be rather slow.  The drive
is not streaming very well.  It spends most of it's time stopping
and starting.  I'm using an Everex Excel 60 with a long controller
card.

The command I've used is
	find . -print | cpio -ovc >/dev/rmt0

Microport 286 SV/AT has a nice little utility called strm that
buffers a large amount of data for the tape drive so that the drive
is able to spend more time streaming and less time stop-starting.

Is there any such utility for 386/ix? Is there some other secret way
to get better efficiency out of the driver?

In a foolish act of desperation, I tried the strm program, but
although it ran and did not degrade the tape operation, it did not
help either.

Thanks,
	Larry

--
Larry Williamson  -- Focus Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                  watmath!focsys!larry  (519) 746-4918