Efficient tape I/O with 386/ix; How??

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Sun Dec 11 11:17:57 AEST 1988

In <317 at focsys.UUCP>, larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) wrote:
> Streaming tape I/O with 386/ix seems to be rather slow.  The drive
> is not streaming very well.  It spends most of it's time stopping
> and starting.

Try using GNU tar.  I use a rather old version, but the current
version should be at least as good.

I do backups with a blocking factor of 6000, or three megabytes per
write to the tape.  tar has portability advantages over cpio anyway.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen		james at bigtex.cactus.org	  "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Corp, 9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759		512-338-8789