YA uP V2.4

Mark Zenier markz at ssc.UUCP
Fri Dec 9 07:55:42 AEST 1988

In article <347 at puck.UUCP>, asp at puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:

> Has anyone added a second disk after installing V2.4?

Yes.  (I assume you are talking about a 286)

> I've been able to
> build the unix file system on the second disk.  Unfortunately I haven't
> been able to test out the new driver to see if the bogus HD I/O error
> problem is fixed because I've been trying to put a DOS partition on the
> second disk.  Seems like my existing DOS partition on D: gets wiped when
> I mkfs.  I tried adding the DOS partition after making the system5 partition
> but then I just get "invalid file system" when I boot unix and try to
> mount the second disk.

Sequence:  (dont use any dos utilities)

1. Fdisk
 a.   go to second drive
 b.   create both partitions
 c.   mark unix partition active

2. Divvy 1
     divvy requires that the unix partition on the second drive be active
     or it won't work.  This sets up all the partitions table stuff so the
     uport driver can find it's stuff.

     Put all the blocks in usr

     dos doesn't care if d: is active or not. (active sets which partitions
     on c: will boot).

4. labelit /dev/rdsk/1s2 yourname 1s2
                ^  note, use raw device.  I got some very strange results
using the stuff in the release notes (ie dsk instead of rdsk).

5.  mkdir /yourname
6.  mount the /usr sub-partition, Slice 3,  /dev/dsk/1s2
      mount /dev/dsk/1s2 /yourname

Notes: divvy -d 1    will dump all the partition stuff

      your unix partition will be missing about 1000 blocks for overhead.

      dos d: is accessible as /dev/rdsk/1s5  ie
	ln /dev/rdsk/1s5 /dev/dos/D

Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz at ssc.uucp
                      uw-beaver!tikal!