YA uP V2.4

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Tue Dec 20 19:32:48 AEST 1988

In article <768 at cgh.UUCP> paul at cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:
>>In article <349 at puck.UUCP> asp at puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
> Randy's remarks deleted ]
>
>This bothers me too.  I had a very nice Merge/286 setup, then I went out
>and bought an AST VGA Plus card.  After that, the Microport merge kernel
>stopped working.

Nothing new about that, it used to do the same thing with an EGA (since
fixed I'm told).

>2.4 fixed the VGA problem, but the merge kernel has not been updated so
>the merge product is STILL broken.  VGA is becoming more and more popular.
>I wonder if Microport has given up on selling Merge/286?

**** Flame on ****
Certainly not, they will still sell Merge, they'll just take their time
making it work.
**** Flame off ****

I have been a frequent critic of Microport, in this newgroup.  I have also
asked for moderation of criticism, same group.  I still don't have any kind
words for their '386 efforts but I'm amazed with what they've done with V/AT.

I've sat here and read about what a dog their serial driver is at 2400bps,
I ignored that because mine works just fine with a Trailblazer at 9600bps.
It couldn't quite make 19,200, but solid at 9600.  Today I ran some live
experiments and the uPort driver is alive and well at 19,200bps.  The only
change I made to make that happen was to replace the NS8250 in the internal
modem card with an NS16550A.  I didn't do the igloo cruft or anything.

>Paul Homchick              UUCP:  {allegra | rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
>Chimitt Gilman Homchick; 259 Radnor-Chester Road, Suite 140; Radnor, PA  19087

I find it very hard to recommend Microport for any new installation who has
an alternate vendor (like none in the 80286 world), but I do see sincere
efforts to make things functional.  They're not bashful about taking your
money, but eventually you'll get a good faith attempt to produce what you
thought you were buying in the first place.  It might cost you another couple
of hundred dollars, but you'll get a good faith attempt.  Maybe, hopefully
soon, they'll get a decent typesetter so that you can RTFM.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM