Everex tape drive on V/386

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Mon Dec 19 04:51:41 AEST 1988

    Having just upgraded from Sys V/AT to V/386 I hope these questions
havn't already been beat to death. There is definately going to be a
learning curve on SVR3.

    I installed the Everex Excel-stream 60 (Wangtek, QIC-02, external) using
the EV-811B controller. This is the same drive I've had running for a year
in the 286. Installation was smooth and the tape drive works. I do my
backups in two parts. First one backs up /root and /usr and the second
backs up my other disk which is /archive. I've been invoking the backup
with "find / -depth -print | cpio -ocv | strm /dev/mt/rmt0". When I
backup /archive all is well. When I backup /root however, all files appear
to get backed up except right at the end just prior to reporting the
total number of blocks and exiting, I get the message:

cpio: WARNING: Cannot obtain information about file: "".

    And then it exits normally. I have re-read the tape in and it looks
like all the files are there but I can't track down where this cpio-
warning is originating from. I am going to single-user mode and killing
all extra processes (killall) before beginning tape operations.

    I might add that having experience at installing V/386 compared to
Sys V/AT is a *major* improvement. The disk loading was extremely smooth.
And adding the second hard disk, tape drive, and dumb Digiport Com8 was
almost too easy!

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P