GNU Emacs

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Sat Dec 17 05:22:39 AEST 1988

In article <8530 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>I hate to tell you this, Jay, but Microbug clearly blew it on this one
>again. With SCO Xenix you would get the messages no matter on which virtual
>console you are. So you can figure out my next suggestion...
>
>Paul.

The messages printed by Unix kernels use a version of printf() which
bypasses the complete Virtual Console Subsystem and dumps the text directly
to the screen.

This is done by the ATT, ISC, Microport, and SCO versions of Unix to make sure
the messages get seen (what would happen if there was a bug in the console
driver and you couldn't change to the console VC?  You'd still want to see the
message! These messages also pass thru the osm (Operating System Messages)
driver so you can log them to a file amd find them with crash(1M).

  -John Plocher