System Crash

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 21:50:53 AEST 1988

In article <249 at cosi.UUCP>, bill at cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
> I'm running S/386 3.0e.  As a UNIX novice, I thought I would try out shell
> layers the other day.  shl worked OK from the system console(s), but I thought
> that this was uninteresting since I have virtual consoles there anyway.  So
> I tried it from a tty port.  CRASH!  System mumbled something about dumping
> stuff, diddled the disk awhile, then froze.  I had to hit the red button on th
> front of the box.  Has this happened to anyone else?

     I just posted a request also to know about this dump file. Mine was
  RFI-induced. :-)  I beleive that in the manual it says that while virtual
  consoles are un-available to remote terminals, shell layers are.

> Also - I recall seeing something about support for more than 4 virtual
> consoles in 3.0e.  Does anyone know what I have to do to get, say, 10
> consoles?

     The first thing I did when I installed 3.0e was to set it up for
  10 virtual consoles like my V/AT had. Everything is already configured
  and you only need to do a "mknod" for each new device and add entries
  to /etc/inittab. The way uport has the gettys labelled for each virtual
  console, you might also want to get fancy and add a gettydef entry for
  each new virtual console you create. Otherwise, you can simple borrow
  one of the existing ones. Here are my /dev entries for my virtual
  consoles:

crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  1 Dec 28 06:49 cons1
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  2 Dec 27 21:49 cons2
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  3 Dec 27 21:49 cons3
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  4 Dec 27 21:49 cons4
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  5 Dec 27 21:49 cons5
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  6 Dec 27 21:49 cons6
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  7 Dec 27 21:49 cons7
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  8 Dec 27 21:49 cons8
crw--w--w-   1 root     sys       5,  9 Dec 27 22:23 cons9
crw--w--w-   3 root     sys       5,  0 Dec 28 06:49 console

    Hope this helps you out.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P