Any experience with Enix (Everex SysV for 386)?

Louis Schmittroth louis at auvax.UUCP
Sat Dec 3 11:37:43 AEST 1988

In article <8349 at ut-emx.UUCP>, jinkins at ut-emx.UUCP (Richard Jinkins) writes:
# In article <3032 at sugar.uu.net#, karl at sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
# # In article <11209 at reed.UUCP#, keithb at reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:
# # # The most note-worthy part of Everex' announcement was the suggested LIST price
# # # for the complete unlimited license to their SVR3.2 ---  $499.00 complete.
# #
# # ...impossible, if other 386/AT Unix vendors are to be believed.  If not, then
# # Everex may take the lowest-price-baton from Bell Tech (who took it from
# # Microport)
#
#      About four months ago I purchased a copy of ENIX V/386 (SVR3.0) for
# $539 through a local Everex dealer. My license was for the 2 user system
# and the manuals. Read the advertising flier carefully. It say that this
# version has X windows, Documentors workbench, etc available but the
# actual release does not come with these items, they are extra.
#      I would make the following suggestion to anyone looking at buying
# ENIX. First, inquire as to what exactly comes with the system for the
# price you are paying. Second, buy the AT&T System V/386 manuals through
# your local bookstore, they are much cheaper than Everexs (and exactly the
# same).

I would go a step further and get AT&T 386 UNIX Rel 3.2.  I bought a
copy of Rel 3.1 for $700.00 but it was for unlimited users and included
the Development package (but not DWB).  I had trouble installing it on
a Televideo 386 (almost an AT-clone), which turned out to be the
keybd, or all things.  When I replaced the TVI keybd with a kybd from
an IBM PC/XT, it installed, and is running very well.  I will be ordering
the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 shortly.

--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science