Everex tape drive on V/386

A. Lester Buck buck at siswat.UUCP
Tue Dec 20 04:05:46 AEST 1988

In article <172 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

> backs up my other disk which is /archive. I've been invoking the backup
> with "find / -depth -print | cpio -ocv | strm /dev/mt/rmt0". When I
> backup /archive all is well. When I backup /root however, all files appear
> to get backed up except right at the end just prior to reporting the
> total number of blocks and exiting, I get the message:
>
> cpio: WARNING: Cannot obtain information about file: "".

I don't know what is causing this line, but try a test run with

cd / ; find . -depth -print | cpio -ocv >/dev/null 2>cpio.debug

and check the debug file to see where the warning message comes in.

(I always use the "cd / ; find ." syntax to keep from storing absolute
pathnames on the tape.  This allows restoring a given file somewhere
else in the filesystem without doing chroot tricks.)

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck