Bell Tech Pricing

Paul Allen paula at bcsaic.UUCP
Fri Jul 22 05:44:14 AEST 1988

In article <243 at belltec.UUCP> dar at belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
>In article <6475 at bcsaic.UUCP>, paula at bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>>  [In which I complained about Bell Tech's recent Unix ad, which I
>>  perceived to be misleading.]
>
>Your right, we do emphasize the *complete* part in the ad ... The reason we
>do so is that our publication of UNIX is the *only* UNIX you can buy which
>is genuinely complete and uncut ...

Bell Tech is to be applauded for their aggressive pricing of UNIX
licenses.  However, *complete* implies to me that I get everything I
need.

>            ... any suggestions on how to get across the idea that
>you get *all* of UNIX whilst retaining the disaggregation of media, license,
>and docs?

Sure.  Just add a statement to the effect that license, media, and docs
are separately priced and that at least one media kit is required.  You
wouldn't have to expand the amount of verbiage by much, since you
already have a sentence listing the available options. The surprise for
me was to learn that the $145 price for complete UNIX didn't include media.
I don't think it would hurt sales if the ad made that point clear.  Your
price is still very attractive.

>We'd be happy to sell you just a license, except that you cannot copy your
>friend's diskettes [AT&T's rules, not ours].

Thanks for the clarification.  I'll budget $300 or so for my eventual
UNIX buy.

Paul
Paul L. Allen                       | paula at boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula