Bell Tech Pricing

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.UUCP
Sat Jul 16 23:12:32 AEST 1988

In article <6475 at bcsaic.UUCP>, paula at bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
> I'm an individual, not a corporation.  I would like to run unix on the
> biggest, fastest 386 box I can fit into my budget.  I'm going to buy one
> copy.  Your ad (I've seen it in the June Unix Review and the latest Dr.
> Dobb's) screams (well, 23 point type, anyway!) that I can get Unix SVR3
> for a 386 *complete* for $145.  Now that I know what to look for, I see
> that one of the available options is a 'media kit'.  Sheesh!  Does the
> $235 price include any documentation?

I paid $320, I think it was, for unlimited user 386, media kit and the sysadmin
manuals.  I don't think that's bad, not at all, particularly after buying
Microport 286 unlimited user, DOS merge, nroff, source development, upgrade
package, support, &c and didn't get squat with respect to bug fixes (two years
of serial driver hangs and panics).

Granted, the ad is a bit misleading.  Nonetheless, it appears to me that one
could buy the license from Bell Tech and borrow the disks from a friend.
(Don't have a friend?  Try bathing more often :-)  It *is* nice that they
will sell a license without the media.  I'm going to be buying one for the
second 386, and $145 is a steal, especially since it all seems to work.
--
-- karl at sugar.uu.net aka uunet!sugar!karl