BellTech's floppy speed improvement

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.UUCP
Thu Jul 28 01:28:32 AEST 1988

The poor performance of the Bell Technologies floppy driver can be somewhat
overcome if one formats the floppies with an interleave of 2 rather than
the default 4.

I ran a couple of very simple tests with interleaves of 4, 3, 2 and 1. I
would format the floppy, and then

	find tmp-dir -print | cpio -ovc >/dev/rdsk/f0q15dt

where tmp-dir contained 10 files totaling about 327K

The timex results were:

	interleave	time
	    4           50.77
            3           43.02
            2           36.14
            1         1:55.19

Caveat: This test was definitely non-exhaustive.  But it did indicate a
definite trend.  I only tested write times and this with cpio.  Read
times, tar and mounted file systems will possibly be different.  You
might like to do some test of your own.

I'm sure that the type of floppy controller will affect your results somewhat.

The system that I'm using is a 16Mhz Intel motherboard with a Western Digital
RA2 controller

Larry