BellTech's floppy speed improvement

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Fri Jul 29 23:28:07 AEST 1988

In article <158 at hocus.focsys.UUCP> larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

>The poor performance of the Bell Technologies floppy driver can be somewhat
>overcome if one formats the floppies with an interleave of 2 rather than
>the default 4.

It is just plain sloppy that both Interactive Systems and Bell Tech seem
to feel that an interleave of 2 or 4 is an acceptable way to mask
A POORLY TUNED FLOPPY DRIVER.  This approach means that you cannot get
the maximum performance out of your floppy drive.  It means that you
screw yourself if you try to use previously formatted 1:1 disks (such
as from MS-DOS).

FOLKS, there is no reason why the FLOPPY DRIVER cannot be written to
handle 1:1 interleave.  I've written a floppy driver that can do it.
It is a simple matter of tuning the damn code.

Don't accept inferior performance.  Demand 1:1 interleave from your vendor.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)