SysV/AT ksh emacs mode broken!

Richard Hargrove richardh at killer.UUCP
Sun Jul 10 01:08:40 AEST 1988

In article <581 at splut.UUCP>, jay at splut.UUCP (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> If I do a 'set -o emacs', I can't edit the history file interactively.
> It ignores the control characters to move around the line. If I 'set -o
> vi', command editing works fine.

It appears that emacs mode command line editing has not been implemented.
You shouldn't have to execute 'set -o emacs'. To quote my ksh docs:

	EDITOR
		If the value of this variable ends in emacs,
		gmacs, or vi and the VISUAL variable is not set,
		then the corresponding option (see Special Command
		set below) will be turned on.

Needless to say, this doesn't work either. The irony is that it DOES work
with the MKS Toolkit version of ksh which I use when I boot up MS-DOS.

Another ksh'ism that doesn't seem to work is using $(...) instead of `...`
for command substitution. Fortunately, `...` does work.

I'm looking forward to receiving the official ksh that is supposed to be
coming with the 2.3.1 upgrade. It's one of the primary reasons I purchased
the upgrade contract. I hope it implements all standard functionality.

richard hargrove
...!{ihnp4 | codas | cbosgd}!killer!richardh