Bell Tech Pricing

Stacy L. Millions stacy at mcl.UUCP
Mon Jul 11 05:20:58 AEST 1988

In article <236 at belltec.UUCP>, dar at belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
> In article <294 at gandalf.littlei.UUCP>, martin at littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
> > ...  I called the folks up and asked them how much for just a software
> > distribution (not the X package or additional non-v.3.? packages).  They
> > told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
> > $145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
>
> The pricing makes sense if (like most of our customers) you are buying more
> than one copy of UNIX.  If you are bringing up 10 machines, you only need
> one copy of distribution media ($45) and ten licenses at $145 each.  This
> saves you $450...

Well I have checked and double checked my math, and every time I add
45 + 145 I get 190, not 235. So which is correct.

It is nice to know that extra lisc. are available, it just might help
me change my mind about selling your product.  It still doesn't change
the fact that your adds are misleading. I realise that you want to
advertise your lowest price, but when you say "UNIX SYSTEM V RELEASE 3
FOR 80386 FROM $145 COMPLETE!", I don't expect the software to be
an option (kind of like a base model computer where the processor is
not included in the price :-).

--
"IBM Personal System/2. It's like having 256,000 crayons in one box."
    For those of you who are still doing your business reports with crayons!

S. L. Millions                                            ..!uunet!mcl!stacy