Bell Tech Pricing

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 19:18:13 AEST 1988

In article <294 at gandalf.littlei.UUCP> martin at littlei.UUCP (martin) writes:
>With all the discussion recently about unix for 386 flavorings I decided
>to do some price getting.  Bell Tech has been advertising Unix in almost

>told me $235.  I asked them what I could get for the advertised price of
>$145 and they said "Just the AT&T license".  Well that does alot of good!
>I can't insert the license into the PC and boot it... (humor).  Currently
>they are only shipping v.3.0 with 3.1 due out at the end of July.

What it is good for is letting you only pay for the distribution costs once
if you need to put it on more than one machine. I.e. when buying for a
network your cost is:

	$ = (n-1) * $145 + $235

Or a net savings of $90 per machine. You only take delivery of one physical
copy but get to install it as many times as you have paid for. Sounds like a
good deal for larger companies or universities.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532