Where can I find ksh/286

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 7 22:26:45 AEST 1988

In article <5674 at ihlpl.ATT.COM> johnk at ihlpl.ATT.COM (John Kennedy) writes:

>I called uPort this week, looking for a 286-based ksh.  They sell one
>for the 386, but say they don't have one for the 286.
>
>So, does anyone make a Korn shell for the 286???

WAIT A MINUTE?

The Microport BBS has the 286 executable of ksh which you can
download for the price of the phone call.  I did this myself
about 2 weeks ago, and the last time I logged in there last
week, they still had it.

They also have lots and lots of good PD software already ported
over to SV/AT.  If you'd like to go shopping, give them a call.

Below is the contents of a letter i sent to Tom (???) the
original poster of this question.

ksh for SV/AT is available as a downloadable executable.
source is not public domain and not available from uport.
ksh only supports the VI command line sequence, no emacs.
(ksh had to be compiled in small model and both couldn't be
fit into 64K :-(

in order to download, you must call up the bbs, login, and
register your copy by giving them the serial number off of
your boot disk.  in a few days (hopefuly) you will be able
to call up and download any files you want.

i highly suggest doing this.  the bbs not only has lots of
very good public domain utilities (less, 16-bit compress,
larry wall's patch and rn, etc,... ) but also this is where
they post patches and fixes for the kernal and utilities.
in any case, call up and browse around, you can send
messages to john sully, or other microport people, and also
read about other peoples problems.

the phone numbers are:
		408-438-6567 (2400/1200/300)
		408-438-6687 (2400/1200/300)
		408-438-2492 (1200/300)

i hope this helps!

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr