HELP! Floating Point Problems

Bill Kennedy bill at carpet.WLK.COM
Sat Jul 23 13:11:20 AEST 1988

In article <293 at bby-bc.UUCP> john at bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
>In article <2424 at inco.UUCP>, mack at inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
>> HELP !!!
>>
>> I have a problem with C compiler floating point operations under
>> Microport Unix 386 Version 2.2.  Any code that contains floating point
>> operations blows away both cc and lint.  In some cases this also locks
>
>I have seen this too - I took some code to a friends 386 system running
>Microport + Merge with 6mb (and a lot of other stuff too) and the
             ^^^^^
There is your culprit.  I don't care what anyone says, Merge breaks important
things.  In proper perspective I gave up on V/386 + Merge a long time ago and
pitched it into the street as (expensive) garbage.  The chap I gave it to has
not had a whimper out of it because he NEVER INSTALLED MERGE.  Since DOS
ability was prerequisite to my application I stand by my earlier remark, "I
would not dignify it by calling it excrement", but if you remove the Merge
component I must defer to the experience of the fellow who has it.  He says
it sleeps through the night and never cries or soils the linen.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill