uport problems with large files?

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Sat Jun 4 01:39:45 AEST 1988

In article <1878 at netmbx.UUCP>, felix at netmbx.UUCP (Felix Gaehtgens) writes:
> I've had problems when trying to write a file larger than 1.2 Mb to /usr
> with uport version 2.3. there was enough space, but he didn't seem to like
> files bigger than 1228800 bytes. anybody else had this problems? any solu-
> tions? or am i just making a stupid mistake?
>
> so long,
> 	felix
>
> {backbone}!pyramid!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!felix
> ...unido!tub!tmpmbx!netmbx!felix

You >are< making a silly mistake.  The ulimit value for file size
( see intro(2), ulimit(1) ) is limited on the Microport to 1.2Mb so you
can write a high-density floppy.  To change, become super-user and
raise it: ( $ ulimit 50000 ).  The number is in blocks (512 bytes each).
I believe this is documented somewhere in the "well organized" microport
documentation.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'