Upgrade to 2.3.1 (I am terrified)

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.UUCP
Thu Jun 9 06:31:33 AEST 1988

I received Microport's 2.3.1 on monday.  The improvements over 2.3.0
seem minimal, but some will be nice.  I'm glad to see they are
providing the tape driver software as part of the package, too bad
we just bought these drivers 3 weeks ago!

The entire installation notes assume that you are upgrading from
2.2, not from 2.3.0.  This is unfortunate as there are some things
that must be considered if 2.3.0 is the current system.

My greatest fear and the reason I've procrastinated installing 2.3.1
so far is that the install is going to overwrite all kinds of system
files that I have modified for our site.

It's not the obvious ones that bother me, /etc/passwd, /etc/groups,
/.profile, etc. I will save these.

It's the ones that I've forgotten about that bother me.  Ones that
other packages we've installed have modified without my realising
it.  For example, if Rabbit's 3270Plus software installation had
worked, it would have modifed /usr/linkkit/lib2.  But since lib2 is
so big, microport's ar command was not able to add Rabbit's drivers
to it.  Therefore I had to muck around with this installation by
hand and I (think I) know what files are to be saved.

Never mind that Rabbit should never have tried to modify system
files.  They did.  What other files may have been changed?

Oh yea, I'll bet all the crontabs are different, and how about
/etc/profile, inittab, gettydefs, TIMEZONE, bsetdate, fstab, issue,
motd.  And in /usr/lib/uucp, my goodness, I'd hate to lose anything
there.  And it's been months now, but I remember adding some aliases
to /usr/lib/mailx/mailx.rc.

And what is going to happen to my lp setup.  Will the install modify
any files in /usr/spool/lp?

I've just scared myself so badly writing this that I may not be able
to bring myself to install the upgrade.

larry

--
Larry Williamson                      Focus Automation Systems
UUCP: watmath!focsys!larry    608 Weber St. N, Waterloo, Ontario N2V 1K4