Upgrade to 2.3.1 (I am terrified)

Richard Hargrove richardh at killer.UUCP
Fri Jun 10 22:17:19 AEST 1988

In article <183 at focsys.UUCP>, larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

> I received Microport's 2.3.1 on monday.  The improvements over 2.3.0
> My greatest fear and the reason I've procrastinated installing 2.3.1
> so far is that the install is going to overwrite all kinds of system
> files that I have modified for our site.
>
> It's not the obvious ones that bother me, /etc/passwd, /etc/groups,
> /.profile, etc. I will save these.
>
> It's the ones that I've forgotten about that bother me.  Ones that

When I upgraded to 2.3.0 I took advantage of the file /etc/install.date,
an empty file created by the installation software (or created by me if the
installation software doesn't), to find all the files on the root file system
that had been modified since installation. I then decided which of these
I wanted to save (unfortunately you still have to think about what you're
going to do - unlike on Xenix where all files replaced during an upgrade
are saved in a special directory).

richard hargrove
...!{ihnp4 | codas | cbosgd}!killer!richardh