/dev/dos/C -- link to what?

Mike Borza nusip at maccs.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 02:04:00 AEST 1988

In article <1276 at ssc.UUCP> markz at ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
>In the partition information from fdisk, the partition numbers go backwards
>so you may be using 4 and 3 from uport's point of view.

Yup, the default partitions have DOS set as partition 4, /dev/rdsk/0s9.

>Using /dev/rdsk/0s5 with a unrebuilt partition table caused my file system
>to be smashed, scrambled, and spread all over the place. I deleted that
>node.  That was when I first installed 2.2 .  I recommend using a direct
>partition reference /dev/rdsk/0s6, 7, 8, 9

Under rel. 2.2, /dev/rdsk/0s5 was *supposed* to be the DOS partition
according to WN(7), but the 2.2 release notes stated that this wouldn't
work.  The solution was to use /dev/rdsk/0s9.  /dev/rdsk/0s5 does work
in the 2.3 release.  When I first installed SV/AT 2.2 on a system with
a Priam 60 MB, I had all kinds of problems with munged filesystems.  I
ultimately resolved these by scanning for bad blocks with fdisk (Unix
partition only).  Fdisk did find bad blocks which weren't in the bad
block table.  Unfortunately, I still had problems reading particular
directories in the DOS partition.  These were ultimately resolved by
backing up the entire disk (DOS and Unix partitions), then using the
advanced disk maintenance utility supplied with the Priam drive to
rebuild the bad block table.  A tedious restore followed, but I've had
no problems since.

--mike borza.