/dev/dos/C -- link to what?

Mark Zenier markz at ssc.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 04:33:03 AEST 1988

In article <1958 at hubcap.UUCP>, mrspock at hubcap.UUCP (Steve Benz) writes:
> I have a PC-designs ET286i, with a Bell Technologies (really Toshiba)
> 72M disk.  The disk is rather unimaginatively partitioned, partition 1
> is the DOS partition, 2 is the Unix partition.  I'm running uPort 2.2.2.

In the partition information from fdisk, the partition numbers go backwards
so you may be using 4 and 3 from uport's point of view.
Use fdisk to display but don't update the partition table. and look up in
the manual section WN(7) for the name for the partition number for the dos.

> I've tried linking /dev/dos/C to /dev/dsk/0s5, /dev/dsk/0s6, and
> /dev/dsk/0s7.

Use rdsk not dsk!

I had to run divvy with the option to rebuild things (-u) before I could
get anything.

Using /dev/rdsk/0s5 with a unrebuilt partition table caused my file system
to be smashed, scrambled, and spread all over the place. I deleted that
node.  That was when I first installed 2.2 .  I recommend using a direct
partition reference /dev/rdsk/0s6, 7, 8, 9

Mark Zenier		Holder of the Cliff Claven chair at the school of
uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz		Unsubstantiated Opinion