Running out of swap space in V/AT

Barnacle Wes wes at obie.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 23:50:59 AEST 1988

In article <214 at sdeggo.UUCP>, dave at sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
% My newsfeed began sending me compressed news a few weeks ago and since then
% I have been running into a problem fairly regularly.  The uncompress eats

In article <601 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>      I ran into this a while back on an abnormally large News session.
> Unfortunely I beleive I beleive the only solution is to increase the
> size of your swap partition. I increased mine to 8000 blocks and
> havnt had a problem now in 9 months or so.

I initially did this, too, but then I decided it was taking far too
long decompressing the news files with the 16-bit decompress.  My feed
didn't want to have to arrange a special 13-bit compression for my
site (they feed about 5 other sites, too).  So I just bought a 2400
baud modem and xfer every thing uncompressed.  It is actually faster
than the total time to xfer compressed and de-compress the files.  My
system is fairly slow, though - 8 Mhz 286/287.  I do handle quite a
bit of traffic, the average is a little over 1 meg/day - I feed a
college in Ogden (wsccs, net23, wscvax, and wsceng).
--
     /|\ 	Barnacle Wes @ Great Salt Lake Yacht Club, north branch
    / | \		     @ J/22 #49, _d_J_i_n_n_i