Interpretation of values reported by nm

Richard Hargrove richardh at killer.UUCP
Thu Jun 30 12:50:04 AEST 1988

This one has me stumped. I was playing around with a program to read
the process table out of the kernel via the /dev/kmem device but when
I nm /system5, ALL of the addresses, except for u, begin with 0x02.
Specifically, proc is 0x0228365a, v is 0x022027ec, etc. These then produce
garbage when used as offsets into /dev/kmem. Does anyone know what these
values represent and how I would need to transform them to make them useful
as /dev/kmem offsets?

I inadvertently discovered that sdb takes hex addresses in the form
<selector> prepended to <offset>. Is that the case here? If so, these
seem like very large selectors.

thanks,
richard hargrove
...!{ihnp4 | codas | cbosgd}!killer!richardh