Microport '386 Unix

Michael J. Young mjy at sdti.UUCP
Thu Mar 3 00:19:00 AEST 1988

In article <474 at spectrix.UUCP> clewis at spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) writes:
>Sounds a lot like you're missing terminators on your disk drives.
>
>Make absolutely certain that only one drive has the terminators installed,
>and it's the last in the chain.  Check your drive manuals.  ST506
>style drives frequently go nuts in this manner if the terminators are
>missing or installed in both drives in a dual-drive system.

My terminators are installed correctly and I still have the problem.  This
is a known bug in the wn driver when used with dual drive systems, and uport
is aware of it.  I corresponded with Dwight Leu at length about it.  Their
strategy is to try porting the 386 driver back to the 286, since 386 systems
don't seem to exhibit the problem.  Unfortunately, at last check they were
still having difficulty recreating the errors on their in-house systems.  I
suggest that anyone who has the dual-drive errors contact uport and offer
yourselves as a beta-site for the new driver when/if it is available.  I
did, but I haven't heard anything back from them as yet.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy