Problem with News when patched at 14

Christopher D. Orr chris at lxn.UUCP
Fri Mar 4 23:31:04 AEST 1988

In article <504 at wa3wbu.UUCP> john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I have been running News, patch-8 for many months. Yesterday I
>patched up to #14, recompiled and replaced the old binaries. Everything
>seemed to work. Old News was accessable, postnews worked, rnews did
>it's thing, etc.  I'm in fat-city, right ?
>
>                       [ ... ]
>
>    So I yanked out my backup tape of just before upgrading News (Thank
>you God for letting me remember to backup) and restored everything to a
>patch-level 8 state and its working smoothly again.

Actually yesterday I did just about the same thing.  I patched my pathlevel
8 News software up to Patchlevel 14.  I created a local test group to test
out the posting, etc.  Everything looked great up until I ran EXPIRE on these
test messsages.  Then the system went down!  And I mean down.  I had to cold
boot the system to get anything working!

After having to repair a number of disk partitions from the crash I've decided
that pathlevel 8 gives me everything I need.  What is the incentive to
go to level 14 ????

				Chris

--
Christopher D. Orr                  | US MAIL: Alcyone Inc.
UUCP: vu-vlsi\                      |          Lanark Building