lots of panics in uPort V -> Problems @ 10MHz

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 13:51:07 AEST 1988

In article <126 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG> det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
:                           Power?  I had my pc plugged into an outlet with one
:of those little-itsy-bitsy noise filters that plug into a two outlet wall
:receptacle and provide three somewhat filterd outlets.  I also had my stereo
:and a lamp plugged into the same outlet - considering the house is 40+ years
:old and they didn't use electricity back then (:-) i only have two outlets in
:my room!  I decided to test whether or not the stereo and lamp were somehow
:dirtying the power to my pc and moved them to another outlet, courtesy of a
:long extension cord.  I ran for a couple of days -- no problems.

Unless your voltage is rather low, a good computer supply should be able
to operate properly even when the light(s) visibly dim.  Furthermore,
the power supply should stop processing and reset the computer if it
does run out of stored energy.

So, I should suspect either a marginal power supply or a marginal EMC
(ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) problem that was fixed by rearranging
the grounds et al.

(EMC is the reverse of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI).  EMC relates
to the ability of external noise to "talk" to the computer.)  Poor EMC
is what sells anti static treatments for DP rooms.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF