uport drive bug?

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.UUCP
Wed Mar 2 02:55:27 AEST 1988

In article <1053 at ssc.UUCP>, fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> I have disk errors with a Seagate 4096 on uPort and it seems that
> everyone else who posted a problem had a 4096.  My disk controller
> is a National (of Japan) NDC-5425.  Maybe we can figure this out.

I also tried the combination of a 72meg Toshiba and the 33meg Rodime with no
luck.  Remember, using any drive alone, even under heavy load, produces no
problems.  It's only when *both* drives are used that failure is induced.  Not
only that, but both drives must be under heavy load.  This is why I suspect
either a design flaw in the controller (WD1003) or bug in uPort driver.  DOS
never generates accesses back and forth rapidly between drives as far as I
know, so there isn't an easy way to test the controller separately.  Could ask
the Xenix folks who use a WD1003 I suppose.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746