uport drive bug?

Jay Maynard jay at splut.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 12:30:11 AEST 1988

>From article <240 at sdti.UUCP>, by mjy at sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young):
> In article <415 at splut.UUCP> jay at splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
>>BTW, has anyone tried making a new floppy-rooted kernel to replace the
>>(apparently) bad one supplied on the 2.3.0-L boot floppy? Is the unlimited
>>one bad, too?
>
> What's wrong with the boot floppy kernel?  I had no problems with it -- of
> course, I switched to the large kernel shortly after installation :-).

I had a problem both reading the boot kernel and running patch against
it. Both were due to a problem I discovered trying to make a copy of the
floppy: bad sectors on tracks 63, 64, and 65 of the boot disk. As it
turns out, because of some great help I got from Dwight Leu, I wound up
with two copies of the 2.3 upgrade, and both had bad sectors in the same
place, leading me to believe that the master was bad.

> they gave me tips on how to install the upgrade without a working boot
> floppy.  I thought technical support was both knowledgeable and helpful.

I managed, with the help of a bit of head scratching and my 2.2 kernel,
to get the large kernel on my system; at that point, it was no trouble
at all. I'm asking mainly so that I can build a good boot floppy for
fsck-ing. (A procedure I strongly recommend to guard against the fsck
file corrupter.)
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay