Problem with News when patched at 14

Bill.Stewart.<ho95c> wcs at ho95e.ATT.COM
Sat Mar 12 15:01:12 AEST 1988

In article <914 at bigtex.uucp> james at bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
:On those inodes: Come on people, inodes don't just "disappear".  If they're
:truly being lost by the kernel (highly unlikely), fsck will show it.

	Well, they do, and it's the kernel's fault, and fsck does find
	them again.  There's an obscure System V bug that was
	reported in the news.admin groups a few months back, which
	causes the superblock to think there are zero inodes left.
	It mainly happens when you're shlepping around a lot of inodes at
	once, which is to say it "only" affects netnews.

	On my machine, /usr/spool has its own file system; if it loses
	all the inodes (rare, but it's happened twice in the last 6 months),
	I can kill cron and lp, and umount/fsck/remount the file
	system, without taking the machine down.  It's annoying, but
	better than kicking everyone off.

	Aside from the inode bug, there's also the fact that news just
	*needs* a lot of inodes.  (I'm using double the default number.)
	I've also found it helps to keep $LIBDIR and $SPOOLDIR on
	separate file systems; if they're on the same system and it
	fills up, expire can't run.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs