Problem with News when patched at 14

Derek Terveer det at lily.UUCP
Sat Mar 12 12:57:24 AEST 1988

In article <253 at lxn.UUCP>, chris at lxn.UUCP (Christopher D. Orr) writes:
> [.. crash then cold iron boot..]
> After having to repair a number of disk partitions from the crash I've decided
> that pathlevel 8 gives me everything I need.  What is the incentive to
> go to level 14 ????

I was also running #8 on our vaxen at work for many, many, many moons with no
problems (other than the persistent minor irritants) and was scared by the
announcement that unless one upgraded to #14 all of the disk space would be
eaten by the Supersedes: lines in comp.mail.maps, etc.  So i got the patches
from some friendly neighbor sites and upgraded.  Other than really learning how
to use patch, everything went smoothly.

I have had no problems, except expire doesn't *always* seem to want to expire.
No severe crashes.  No crashes at all.  It does make me wonder though, 'cause i
keep seeing people complaining about the problems they are having and i have
seen neither hide nor hair of these problems.  I don't doubt they exist though.

Perhaps its the upgrade somehow that kills and not the patches themselves.  For
example -- the vaxen that i upgraded from #8 to #14 were hardly fair tests
since they got very little news and so weren't very well exercised.  The
machine that i'm writing on now (hawkmoon) had #14 installed on it (no previous
News versions since its a new site) and i've have had nary a problem here as
well.

I can imagine that different expectations (of the software) between the patch
levels  could cause some problems.
--
Derek Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det