Microport and Sendmail

Hwa Jin Bae bae at ati.tis.llnl.gov
Mon Mar 14 11:51:00 AEST 1988

In article <152 at ucrmath.UUCP> jantypas at hope.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I have the sourcees for Sendmailand I reently tried to compiler them on Microport Sys V/AT 2.3.  I used the V7
>definition and removed all of the IPC, sockets, and logging code.  Things went
>along pretty well -- files were compiling and then the compiler complains of
>syntax errors in /usr/include/sys/types.h!  This is the first compilable line
>in the file!  Why?????  Microport's include files should not contain any errors.I use them in other things.  What would confuse the compiler like this?

I don't use V/AT but on 386 V.3, the a couple of sendmail source files include
the "sendmail.h" file which in turn includes sys/types.h.  The system V
compilers seem to behave very sensitively when an include file such as types.h
is included twice for some reason.  I just removed the sys/types.h include
line and moved the sendmail.h include line above other include lines - so
that the ones that use sys/types.h will still be happy... and everything
compiled just fine.

In addition, if you look at daemon.c file, it uses "ifndef DAEMON" and "else"
in very strange way (syntactically wrong, I think) which system V compiler
refuses to compile (which is good).  Some intuitive replacing/removing
"else" will solve the problem.

Incidentally, is anyone running a working SMTP based sendmail on microport
V.3 based system?  I would like to talk to you!!!  Especially if you are
using Excelan's TCP/IP software.  I've got all of our custom software ported
to this 386/ Excelan ethernet TCP/IP system but still having problems
getting sendmail to work - debugging sendmail running in SMTP mode is
kind of difficult due to its heavy use of "fork/exec" and IPC calls.

Since the sendmail is a piece of code that tries to do what "inetd" or
"bsd_inetd" should do AND SMTP and etc. it is unnecessarily complex...

Hwa Jin Bae
Control Data Corp.     bae@{ati,aftac}.tis.llnl.gov        (Internet)
4234 Hacienda Drive    {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae    (UUCP)
Pleasanton, CA 94566   hbae at plseca                         (smail)