Info needed: UNIX for 286/386 machines (really malloc)

John Spicer jhs at actnyc.UUCP
Tue Mar 8 05:29:35 AEST 1988

In article <412 at elric.UUCP>, root at elric.UUCP (root) writes:
> my development work on a vax 11/780 running "real" att sysVr2.0 and have
> occasionally run into mysterious (and dreaded) core dump problems using the
> "standard" malloc but find that they go away when i use -lmalloc; without
> changing any code -- simply recompiling!
>
> So, what I do is, unless i have a special reason to use the other features of
> the -lmalloc (a faster malloc, according to the man page) i just use the
> standard malloc until i get dumb core dumps, then i try the -lmalloc to see if
> the problem goes away.  Most of the time, it does....

When I have tried the -lmalloc version on Microport SYSV/AT 286 it dumps core.
I tried using the standard version and it is SLOW.  I finally ended rewriting
malloc so I could get a version that works, and works quickly.

I hope Microport provides a decent version of malloc some day.

John Spicer
InterACT Corporation
uunet!actnyc!jhs