Info needed: UNIX for 286/386 machines (really malloc)

root root at elric.UUCP
Fri Mar 4 06:08:25 AEST 1988

In article <141 at bdt.UUCP>, david at bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
> In article <863 at athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
> >[..] later found out that this was because the supplied malloc is
> >substandard.  I'm now using a tuned malloc, and I think Emacs would [..]
>
> What is the "tuned malloc" that Charles is talking about?  Is it something
> from Microport?  Does it exist for the 286 version too?

Perhaps the "tuned malloc" that Charles is talking about is the malloc library
that can be loaded with a -lmalloc on the cc command line.  I have done most of
my development work on a vax 11/780 running "real" att sysVr2.0 and have
occasionally run into mysterious (and dreaded) core dump problems using the
"standard" malloc but find that they go away when i use -lmalloc; without
changing any code -- simply recompiling!

So, what I do is, unless i have a special reason to use the other features of
the -lmalloc (a faster malloc, according to the man page) i just use the
standard malloc until i get dumb core dumps, then i try the -lmalloc to see if
the problem goes away.  Most of the time, it does....
--
Derek Terveer	root at elric.UUCP		..!clyde!lily!elric!root