Problem with News when patched at 14

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Thu Mar 10 21:41:11 AEST 1988

I've been running news patchlevel #14 since it came out on my 286 2.2, and
now for the last week on my 386 2.2l, with no "lost" inodes.  However, I have
found that my slightly-modified inews must be compiled without the optimizer,
or it produces a bad history file.  I'm not going to try to track down the
exact cause of the problem, as hopefully the new compiler from uPort is coming
soon...

On those inodes: Come on people, inodes don't just "disappear".  If they're
truly being lost by the kernel (highly unlikely), fsck will show it.  If
they're getting eaten by the /tmp locks (more likely), an "ls /tmp" will show
it, and if the inodes are being consumed by .ina and other SPOOLDIR temporary
files (most likely), "find SPOOLDIR -type f -name '.*' -print" will find them.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746