Microport '386 Unix

John M. Sully jmsully at uport.UUCP
Fri Mar 11 02:38:56 AEST 1988

In article <211 at sdti.UUCP> mjy at sdti.UUCP (0000-Michael J. Young) writes:
>This
>is a known bug in the wn driver when used with dual drive systems, and uport
>is aware of it.  I corresponded with Dwight Leu at length about it.  Their
>strategy is to try porting the 386 driver back to the 286, since 386 systems
>don't seem to exhibit the problem.  Unfortunately, at last check they were
>still having difficulty recreating the errors on their in-house systems.  I
>suggest that anyone who has the dual-drive errors contact uport and offer
>yourselves as a beta-site for the new driver when/if it is available.  I
>did, but I haven't heard anything back from them as yet.

This is a very good suggestion.  We have not as yet been able to reproduce
the problems in house, but a local site has the problem and we have been
testing a new version of the driver with him.  It is not quite ready for
beta test yet, but I will post notification on the BBS when a decent
version is available (probably here on the net too).  Please note that
this problem is extremely hardware dependent.  We have been loaned the
controller and second drive which reproduce this problem at the local site and
have installed them in testbed machines here but were unable to reproduce
the problem.