HDB UUCP on System V/AT

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Mon May 23 21:21:23 AEST 1988

In article <4152 at killer.UUCP> sean at killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) writes:
>	The "Release Notes" that came with my System V/AT 2.3.0-L say that
>Honey Dan Ber uucp is available from Microport.  Has anyone obtained it, and,
>if so, how well does it work?  Does it include uugetty?

Unless there is something I have overlooked, the only HDB they provided is
available for downloading from their BBS if you have an upgrade or service
contract.

It does include uugetty, and works passably well, even though it does not
seem to be the latest version as documented in, i.e., the Nutshell Handbook
on UUCP, or other recent UNIX books.

The greatest drawback, in my opinion, is that this version does not support
the "Dialers" file, which lets you define modems other than what's built into
uucico; another major problem is that since "cu" is not provided, you still
need to keep around all of the old uucp data files in addition to the new ones
in order for "cu" to work. (i.e. you need both L.sys and Systems, both L-devices
and Devices, etc.).

I am quite certain that this is not the version of HDB which Microport provides
with their 386 product, and I (and many others) wish they would provide us with
binaries for the current version instead of what seems like an outdated
beta-test version.

UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp at DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp at dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD