Mail to uport doesn't work

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Mon Nov 7 19:15:51 AEST 1988

+---- In <152 at twwells.uucp> T. William Wells writes:
| +---- In <4910 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> Jon Zeeff writes:
| | 2) I can't run mkpart -A to add a bad sector without doing it from the
| |    floppy
| +----
| Uport admits that it's a problem.  Usually you can't boot after using
| mkpart on a running system.
+----

Version:

	Microport V/386 Version 3.0e (fixed in 3.0e.1)

If
        You have a drive with more than 17 sectors per track (RLL or ESDI)
        and you run mkpart -A while rooted off of the hard disk
then
	The boot code on your hard disk is replaced with an incorrect version
	and you won't be able to reboot from the hard disk (but the disk isn't
	damaged and your data is safe)

Symptom:

	boot: /unix

	Results in a "Can't find /unix" message

Cause:
	The boot image in /etc/boot on the hard disk is the one from 2.2 which
	only understands 17 sectors per track; the one on the floppy is the
	correct one from 3.0e, which was rewritten to handle variable numbers
	of sectors per track.

Fix:
	Boot from the build disk
	Run fsck on the hard disk

	 	"fsck /dev/dsk/0s1"

	Mount the hard disk

	       	"mount /dev/dsk/1s0 /mnt"

	If you ran mkpart & overwrote
        your boot code, re run it

		"/etc/mkpart -f /mnt/etc/partitions -B /etc/boot disk0"

	Copy the correct boot image to your hard disk

		"cp /etc/boot /mnt/etc/boot"

	Unmount the hard disk

		"umount /dev/dsk/1s0"

	Reboot off of the floppy