Mail to uport doesn't work

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Mon Nov 7 07:34:29 AEST 1988

In article <4910 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
: >: 2) I can't run mkpart -A to add a bad sector without doing it from the
: >: build disk.
: >
: >It worked fine for me.
:
: Uport admits that it's a problem.  Usually you can't boot after using
: mkpart on a running system.

So, one should run mkpart -A only when running single user?

If so, it really looks like I'm going to have to bring my system down
periodically. First, to check for bad blocks (I'm paranoid) and second
to fix the inode problem with news.

I believe the right way to do this kind of thing is this:

	1) add a cron entry to go to some unused init state
	2) add an inittab entry to start a script to do single-user
	   maintenance
	3) have that script return to init state 2 at the end

Does that sound right?

: >: 8) News 2.11 compiled by gcc doesn't work quite right.
: >
: >How? It seems to work fine for me.
:
: I got some rare errors with rnews failing.  I didn't have a chance to pin
: it down though.  The cc version works fine.

What are the symptoms of rnews failing? I haven't seen that happen,
but I'll keep my eyes open if I know what to look for.

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill