Aghast at the Quality? (was: Microport Buyout )

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 14 07:31:55 AEST 1989

+---- In article <623 at eecea.eece.ksu.edu> Terry Hull writes:
|  +---- In article <11307 at well.UUCP> Tom Neff writes:
|  | why should GNU get "right" whatever all these implementations got "wrong"?
|  +----
|  Well gcc produces the fastest code of any C compiler available for
|  Suns, ggrep is the fastest grep available, and GNU Emacs is as feature
+----

In compiler benchmarks Ken Chapin did at Microport on 386's, the ranking
was generally as follows:  (From memory...)

	Floating Point		Integer		Library Intensive
	Intensive		Intensive	(not Float or Int)

	GNU			PCC		GHC
	GHC			GNU		PCC
	PCC			GHC		GNU
	SVS			SVS		SVS

Float tests included Mandelbrodt and other such things,
Integer included calculating "e" to 1000 places...
Libs is a catch all with Emacs, normal *stone benchmarks...

GNU = Free Software Foundation gcc 1.31
GHC = Greenhills C 1.81
PCC = Sys Vr3.0 standard C compiler
SVS = Silicon Valley Systems compiler for the 386 (Not sold by Microport)

All of these compilers have their problems, NONE are really good enough
for production work, although IF I had to choose, I'd go with the SVS
compiler set (Includes C, Pascal, and Fortran).

  just my $.02 worth...
   -John Plocher