Microport Buyout ( was: Micropo

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Fri Apr 14 13:01:09 AEST 1989

>Any time you try to sell software you must have something that will
>attract buyers,  In todays market it is the NAME,  people buy junk
>from IBM and Microsoft all the time and why, simpley because of their
>name.

Name recognition is vitally important, but so is the product and
service.  I can think of no one who'll buy (and/or keep) a "junk"
product from Microsoft or IBM just because it has that name on it.  On
the other hand, I know many who'll buy junk from these people if they
can get good support for it.

The product is important to the end user, especially if it's an
individual.  The service is often more important to a business.  With
good service, you can accept shortcomings in the software.  These two
examples, Microsoft and IBM, with certain exceptions of course, have
generally had a history of good to excellent service.

It's when you don't provide adequate service that you're going to
experience a lot of problems.  At that point, it doesn't really matter
how good your product is.

(Not an editorial, just a general comment).

--
       Robert J. Granvin
   National Computer Systems     "Looks like the poor devil died in his sleep."