Microport Status, Net Buyout

egs at spdyne.UUCP egs at spdyne.UUCP
Tue Apr 18 09:25:00 AEST 1989

Written 3:43p Apr 13, 1989 by plocher%sally at Sun.COM in spdyne:uport
|+---- In article <1700020 at spdyne> Chert Pellett writes:
||   I'd like to pick up the text prep tools from interactive, but I don't care
||for the rest of the system.  [A wonderful example is the way that 'su' is
||broke: if you su [to any user or root], from any tty other than the console,
||it will log you off!
|+----
|
| In the directory /etc/default there are several text files which you might
| want to look at.  One of them is called login, another good one is called su.
| Edit these and Delete the "CONSOLE=/dev/console" line in each file.  This
| will allow root logins anywhere (/etc/default/login) and allow anyone to su
| from anywhere (/etc/default/su)  (as long as they know the correct passwords!)
|
| You must be root to edit these files.
|
| Don't blame ISC for this, it is a Good Thing to have!  Can you spell
| S E C U R I T Y ?  Yes, I knew you could. :-)
|
|   -John Plocher

Yes, John, Security is a good thing, but so is Documentation.  Having
gotten the full ISC 1.0.6 release, complete with VP/ix and ISC
documentation, and having read all of the documentation before
setting it up ( it was this system that root at spdyne(Chert Pellett) used )
I have not seen any mention of the /etc/defaults/{login,su} in
any of the system administration manuals.  And I just checked
again to verify this after reading the above.

These are the standard System V/386 manuals that AT&T,
Prentice-Hall, Bell Tech, and Interactive sell with their
systems.  I am not impressed by the documentation.

Just my $.02 worth.