Microport Buyout ( was: Microport Status )

Keith Brown keithb at reed.UUCP
Thu Apr 13 15:08:53 AEST 1989

Well, as one of the creditors (yes, Microport owes me money) and a customer,
I'd have to agree with those who don't think it's worth buying the company.

I do hope they recover from the chapter 11, as I prefer their product (the
386 3.0e) over the others in the fire (not having tried Enix in realworld use).
Along with 3.0e installations, I use BDS (on the vax) and T/PIX from Toshiba
and I still prefer Microport.  I want the korn shell.  I want all the commonly-
used-hardware drivers that come with.  I don't want to be forced to buy a Bell
tape drive just to have tape backup (something that was fixed/added in 3.0e).

I still have a long wish list, but given that I don't expect Microport support,
I'd buy the product again (if they'd only ship it to me, Brian!).

BUT, if I were going to throw my own 80K at something substantial, it would be
at an AT&T license (or my mortgage) and not at Microport.

Not having a 286 to my name, I'm not really interested in the V/AT product
(just for the record).

-Keith

at an AT&T (or my mortgage) rather than Microport.

--
Keith Brown
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!keithb
BITNET: keith at reed.BITNET       ARPA: keithb%reed.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
CSNET: reed!keithb at Tektronix.CSNET     CIS: 72615,216