Process HANGING in 386/Ue

Pat R. Calhoun@Lanpar Technologies pat at mslanpar
Fri Apr 21 06:06:30 AEST 1989

In article <588 at pgthor.UUCP>, dean at pgthor.UUCP (9352) writes:
> The hung process makes the Hayes unusable until I power it down, and this is
> an unacceptable manner of solving this problem.  Anyone ever had any
> experience with these kinds of hung processes?

By exec'ing ps(1) with the 'ael' args. You will more than likely find that
the process' priority is <26 (which means unkillable). This means that
the port driver still has a active device count of 1. Therefore, no
other process can have full access to the device.

If this only happens when someone logs off from Kermit, I suggest you
inspect the source code (assuming you have it :-), to make sure the
device is being closed properly. This is what seems to be the problem
from the symptoms you have defined.

I have used computones in the past before (not on microport), and I
suggest calling computone @ (404) 475-2725 to get information on the
most current driver release number. If you happen to use the
Intelliport line of products, I suggest you make sure the PROM on the
board indicates 3.00IP.

GOOD LUCK!

--
	_^_ |||			Pat "King of the Trenches" Calhoun
       <o o> |			Technical Support Group, Lanpar Technologies