Process HANGING in 386/Ue

Clif Flynt clif at clif.UUCP
Thu Apr 20 23:56:58 AEST 1989

In article <588 at pgthor.UUCP> dean at pgthor.UUCP (9352) writes:
>I'm having the worst time with a Hayes 2400 external hooked to a Computone
>16 port serial expansion unit hanging at certain times.  It seems to be
>hanging only at certain undetermined times after someone logs off, or when
>someone quits out of kermit.
>...uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dean                     (319) 356-9352

The usual reason, in my experience, for a system hanging on a process,
and refusing to kill it is that a device driver was expecting an interrupt
that it never got.

Since this happens with the expansion card, I'd guess for either a card
that doesn't always send the interrupt it's supposed to, or a bug in the
driver that dis-regards the interrupt occaissionally.

Are you running other I/O devices off the 16 port card?  Are they working?
At what speeds?

Try putting the modem off one of the standard serial ports, instead of
off the 16 port card, and see if that helps.

Good luck.
--