The Microport BBS is up, and other fairy tales ...

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 27 11:55:35 AEST 1989

+---- In article <28104 at cci632.UUCP> Tom Frauenhofer writes:
| A side note-is the Uport BBS still up and running?  I've been trying to access
| it for the past week or so.  The modems answer, but I don't get a prompt no
| matter what I try.
+----

I have been trying for the last week to get hold of someone there - 3
or 4 calls per day, every day! - and no one ever answered.  I was
concerned about a few things:
	o several uport mail feeds to wanted to drop their connections,
	o the BBS wasn't answering,
	o it was calling my home voice phone at night & hanging up, and
	o NO ONE was at uport to fix these problems!

So anyways, after getting no answer from Microport, I called up a contact
I had at Televideo (in the same building) and arranged to stop by.  Once
there I attempted to find someone "at home" over at uport, but it was all
dark and the TVI people said they thought Microport was moving out the end
of the week :-(  Oh well, I needed to stop the damn midnight calls
anyways, so (with an escort) I did so.  The BBS is up and the unwanted
Systems entries aren't.

As I was getting ready to leave, someone from Microport came to work, and
I identified myself and what I was doing...  and was promptly EVICTED from
the building with the words "we don't like what you are saying on Usenet
about Microport - get out!"

So much for trying to help :-(

This person at Microport said that people have been calling Microport and
mentioning that I had told them that product was still shipping.  They
wanted to order stuff like upgrades and device drivers.  It seems that
Microport can't deliver the stuff, and so now they are mad at me for
suggesting it to y'all....

Of all the dumb things I've heard in my life, this takes the cake!!!

Still flabergasted,
   -John Plocher

I AM NOT A SPOKESMAN FOR MICROPORT SYSTEMS!