shutting off DTR

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Sun Feb 26 08:10:39 AEST 1989

Not to detract from what the others said about stopping up DTR
in single user mode, but you should also be careful about what
processes you let run via /etc/inittab.  The second field spells
out what run levels you want the line to affect.

I've seen some systems who just arbitrarily use 1234 for things
like spawning uugetty's and other things that you clearly don't
want at run level 1 (single user).  The man page suggests that
changing from multi-user to single user might kill any processes
that shouldn't be run, but I've not seen it or tried it.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill