Pathalias failing on Sys V/AT with much input

Bob Willcox bob at obiwan.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 10:51:21 AEST 1989

In article <3404 at sugar.uu.net> karl at sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <11802 at grebyn.COM>, johnk at grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
>> Does the pathalias source, as distributed, contain any calls that would
>> upset the System V/AT way of doing things?
>
>That's right.  Pathalias needs a lot of memory and expects it to be contiguous.
>steve at nuchat was running it on a 286 with, I think, some hacks he did to
>implement quasi-virtual memory through the disk.  It took like eight hours
>to run the maps for North America alone.
>
>A 386 can handle the job, no problem.  'sugar' can crunch the maps in about
>five minutes...

I am running a hacked-up pathalias on my 286 which I run regularly to
build the entire world maps.  It takes some-what more than 1 meg of
memory to run, but runs in about 10 minutes (on a 10mhz AT clone).  It
is based upon a copy of version 9.1 of pathalias that was ported to
Xenix by Greg Laskin.  I, in turn, ported it to Microport System V/AT.
It is kind of a hack, but if you have enough memory seems to run fine.

--
Bob Willcox                 ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!obiwan!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224