Pathalias failing on Sys V/AT with much input

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.uu.net
Thu Feb 9 13:32:30 AEST 1989

In article <11802 at grebyn.COM>, johnk at grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) writes:
> Microport talks a lot in their manuals about special consideration
> for the 286's special hardware; they talk about not making assumptions
> concerning contiguity of memory acquired by _malloc_.  They talk about
> not using _sbreak_, etc.

> Does the pathalias source, as distributed, contain any calls that would
> upset the System V/AT way of doing things?

That's right.  Pathalias needs a lot of memory and expects it to be contiguous.
steve at nuchat was running it on a 286 with, I think, some hacks he did to
implement quasi-virtual memory through the disk.  It took like eight hours
to run the maps for North America alone.

A 386 can handle the job, no problem.  'sugar' can crunch the maps in about
five minutes...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Everyone has a purpose in life.  Perhaps yours is
-- karl at sugar.uu.net |  watching television."  -- David Letterman